Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Grandma Hakes

Grandma Hakes, Joel's grandmother, passed away last night. She was such an amazing woman. From the very start, she accepted me and loved me and always made me feel like a part of the family. Her and I could talk on the phone for a long time, if either of us actually had the time. :) She was a very lovely, godly woman. She seemed to have a direct prayer link to God. It seemed like if she prayed for your prayer request, it was answered. She was so eady to talk to and laugh with. She never failed to laugh at herself, which always led to other laughing.

I have so many fond memories of her. There was one time, Joel and I were dog sitting a black lab for a friend, and we took the dog over to their house so grandma could see her, and grandma was sitting in her rocker, hanging onto the leash, and this lab just took off and pulled grandma right out of her rocker, but grandma never let go of the leash.
When Joel and I lived in Indianola, we used to go over to grandma's and grandpa's every Monday night o have dinner, play cards and watch Everybody Loves Raymond. Those were very sweet times.
Grandma was there hugging me when Joel left for Boot Camp during our first year of marriage. She was a great encouragement to me and has been very supportive of us through out his Air Force career. She told me her stories about being by herself with the kids when grandpa was in the Air Corp.
Grandma loved our girls with all her heart. She always got right down on the floor with them and played, even though it was hard for her to get back up. She always wanted to play with them.
I will never forget when grandma and grandpa came down with mom and dad to FL to visit us, and she was just in awe of the beach. We got a few hotel rooms, right on the beach, and she loved just standing out on the balcony and watching the waves. I am so glad that she got to come visit us.
I will miss grandma VERY much, but I am so thankful for the last 10 years that she has been my grandma as well. I just regret that she will not be around for my girls to get to know her.
Here are some pictures of Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment